Susan Vance is a board-certified appellate specialist who has handled cases in virtually every field of civil law.
Susan applies her expertise in appellate procedure and practice to structure appeals for success and help clients navigate the appellate system. A former Fifth Circuit clerk, Susan knows what concerns courts and how to persuasively present facts and issues to appellate judges and their staff.
Susan’s experience includes representation of major and family-owned oil and petrochemical companies, national and international retail and automotive companies, financial and technology enterprises, transportation and property insurance companies, land and livestock owners, real estate and securities investors and professionals, construction and development companies, and business entrepreneurs. Susan also makes her appellate skills available in pro bono cases. She has handled appeals on behalf of or in conjunction with such groups as the NAACP and Disability Rights Texas.
Susan is dedicated to providing results-oriented, cost-effective appellate counsel to both plaintiffs and defendants whether they won or lost at trial. She handles major appeals independently as well as collaboratively with corporate, trial, or other appellate counsel. The firm accepts engagements on a competitive hourly fee basis and encourages other tailored fee arrangements
Representative Matters and Engagements
- In two Fifth Circuit appeals, obtained and retained reversal of adverse statute of frauds judgment in $130 million oil and gas case
- Obtained Texas Supreme Court mandamus relief for a major Texas grocer requiring trial court to allow independent medical examination of slip-and-fall plaintiff
- Obtained Texas Supreme Court reversal of $135 million award in landmark “death penalty” sanctions case
- Obtained Texas Supreme Court reversal of 235-to-1 punitive damages award in widely publicized “cattle rustling” case
- Obtained Texas Supreme Court reinstatement of summary judgment in favor of multi-national retailer in product liability case
- Obtained court of appeals’ affirmance of trial court’s exclusion of plaintiffs’ experts in product liability case
- Obtained court of appeals’ reversal of multi-million dollar jury verdict in oil and gas deed construction dispute
- Obtained court of appeals’ reversal of $1.25 million jury verdict against multi-national retailer in employment case